Here are examples of the L-patterns I discovered that I could use to locate where to start, lock myself into safety, and then be liberated to play. These correspond to various keys.
Key of C
Key of G
Key of D
Key of F
Key of Bb
Key of B
Key of E
Key of A
Key of Db
Key of Ab
Key of Eb
See how the pattern repeats on every floor?
Every Floor in D
Every Floor in B
Navigate the DLGPM Video Series
- Introduction to the Pattern Method
- The DLGPM Chart: L-Pattern Basics
- Example: The Cameraman
- Piano Basics: “Floors,” Keys and Families of Notes
- Examples of Patterns on the Piano <—
- Improvisation Examples: Blend Creation With Practice
- Improv Technique: Anchor and Dance Hands
- Two-Handed Improvisations on Every Floor
- Play With Others In A Pattern!
- Using the Pattern Method with a Classical Song: Gymnopédie No.1 by Erik Satie
- Play with Someone on a Different Instrument
- Pattern Method Transitions
- Using the Pattern Method with a Classical Song: Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig Beethoven
Having trouble viewing the videos on your device? Click the pop-out icon on each video to view it in a separate window.